 From:    Bruce Momjian <pgman @ candle.pha.pa.us>
 To:      PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers @ postgresql.org>
 Cc:      PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy @ postgresql.org>
 Date:    Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:09:45 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
----

Here is a blog about a recent MySQL conference with title, "Why MySQL
Grew So Fast":

	http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4715

and a a Slashdot discussion about it:

	http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/20/2229212&mode=nested&tid=137&tid=185&tid=187&tid=198

My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.

Questions I have are:

	o  Are we marketing ourselves properly?
	o  Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
	o  How do we position ourselves against a database that some
	   say is "good enough" (MySQL), and another one that some
	   say is "too much"  (Oracle)
	o  Are our priorities too technically driven?

--
  pgman @ candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001

--
TANIDA Yutaka <tanida @ sra.co.jp>