 From:    Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar @ frodo.hserus.net>
 To:      pgsql-hackers @ postgresql.org
 Date:    Sun, 30 May 2004 18:20:22 +0530
 Subject: [HACKERS] Converting postgresql.conf parameters to kilobytes
----

Hi,

I was toying around with idea of converting all the memory related parameters
in postgresql.conf to kilobytes for simplicity and uniformity.

Attached is a proof of concept patch that converts shared_buffers to kilobytes
using assign_hook.

It compiled all-right but I experienced a strange behavior. At the time of
initdb, it demanded 69MB of shared memory. I had to bump up SHMMAX from 32MB
to 128MB to get initdb through. Certainly I did something wrong somewhere but
I don't know what and where. This is linux 2.6.4.

The postgresql.conf is properly altered and shows 8000(Though the description
around is no longer in sync.)

I also don't know where to put the assign_hook. I have put in guc.c for the
time being. Only other int hook I found was assign_max_stack_depth which is
in postgres.c

Any comments/pointers?

Regards,
 Shridhar