 From:    Neil Conway <neilc @ samurai.com>
 To:      PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers @ postgresql.org>
 Date:    Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:51:49 -0500
 Subject: [HACKERS] DBMS course notes
----

I recently had the opportunity to take an upper-year/graduate-level
course on DBMS internals at my university. While taking that course, I
wrote some notes on course material as a study aid. I thought that
perhaps some of the people on -hackers might find the notes somewhat
useful, so Bruce was kind enough to lend me some webspace to put them
up.

The PDF is here:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/dbms_notes_neil_conway.pdf

The LaTeX source is here:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/dbms_notes_neil_conway.tex

The notes cover:

    - external sorting
    - various algorithms required for query evaluation (nested loops
      join, hash join, sort-merge join, aggregation via sorting,
      aggregation via hashing, etc.)
    - query optimization (System-R's algorithm)
    - concurrency control
    - crash recovery

Any improvements or additions to the docs would be very welcome (you
can send me manual corrections or patches against the LaTeX source).

-Neil

      joining column's datatypes do not match

--
TANIDA Yutaka <tanida @ sra.co.jp>